Jack MacD

An unusual lake filled with bolders.

The water was smoothed by using ND filters and a long exposure of 8 seconds.

Yes, of course, I tried a triptych, but it works best as a diptych. I’ll show that later.

Jack

Attached files

David K

I like this one Jack…the perspective reinforces the massiveness of the rocks. Good to see you’re still using your ND filters. Hoping to give mine a workout next week.

Pete Walentin

Nice! I would love to lie on one of the rocks and taking a sun bath.

Al Tanabe

Jack,
    Nice shot! Did you also use a polarizer for the sky or?

-Al

Jack MacD

Yes Al,
    I definitely used a polarizer.
    I would say that using a polarizer when the clouds are this nice is a plus. Yes, much can be done in color post production but David Farkas assured me last fall that there is not yet a “polarizer filter” in Lightroom. Perhaps LR5?

However the amount of darkness of the B&W sky is easily controlled in post production. In the case LR4, I used the slider under B&W for darkening the blue. Pretty easy to adjust to taste.

I bet people forget how many time film photographers used red filters to achieve this same dark sky in the past. I really appreciate the ability to selectively add all manner of B&W filters in post. So I will not be the first to purchase a monochrome S2. The blue slider is easier than a red filter and doesn’t slip out of your hands or off your lens. I might add that while climbing around with a tripod and multi filters I did drop an expensive super dark ND glass filter after I had finished the shot. They do crack, but don’t shatter. Better the filter than the photographer. Also better to drop the filter than the camera. Yes Josh, send me another ND.

The attached screen shot shows the original shot in color in LR4. I like the color shot too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.