Discussion Forum Leica S System Alternative Lenses S2 + S to H adaptor with 100/2.2 questions
    issa918

Hello members, i’m new to S2. Reading all these threads made me deciding to go for an used S2-P and my friend also got him a S2 + 70 after try my camera. :-p

My H to S adaptor and 100/2.2 were arrived today, and I couldn’t wait to try a few test at home. I have several manual lenses in V mount, but after awhile I felt I need an AF lens and leaf shutter for fast flash sync speed, I skipped S lenses because of the lack of the focal length I normally use (80-100mm, I do portraits 90% of time). I have a few questions and wish for your help.

More information, my S2-P is updated with current firmware.

1. The display shows my lens is 101mm and maximum aperture value is f2.3

2. I had a contax 645, and I love the AF button on thumb a lot. I set the S2 in MF mode, and assigned the rear button beside the VF as AFs. The focusing was a bit slow and hunt sometimes, but maybe due to the insufficient light (f2.3, 1/60s, iso640), I guess. Is it the case?

3. When I was using the manual lenses, I half press the shutter release, there’s a focusing indicator, >•<. But the indicator only shows > while I’m using HC100. Or if i have hit the focus, the dot will be lit no matter how I turn the focusing ring. But if I mount my manual lenses again, it works perfectly.

Are these only my camera or lens issue? Or it’s normal?

Please share with your experience and will be very thankful!

cheers!

issa918

Just an upate, I have just discovered another issue.

It has happened twice today that my S2 won’t fire suddenly, but it was working again when I unmount the lens and release the shutter, or with other manual lenses. Also restart the camera won’t help, I had to unmount the lens and remount again to make it working.

I think the adaptor is faulty. Had sent a mail to Leica and the shop I got the adaptor from. Will update when Leica has any replies for this issue.

issa918;3836 wrote: Hello members, i’m new to S2. Reading all these threads made me deciding to go for an used S2-P and my friend also got him a S2 + 70 after try my camera. :-p

My H to S adaptor and 100/2.2 were arrived today, and I couldn’t wait to try a few test at home. I have several manual lenses in V mount, but after awhile I felt I need an AF lens and leaf shutter for fast flash sync speed, I skipped S lenses because of the lack of the focal length I normally use (80-100mm, I do portraits 90% of time). I have a few questions and wish for your help.

More information, my S2-P is updated with current firmware.

1. The display shows my lens is 101mm and maximum aperture value is f2.3

2. I had a contax 645, and I love the AF button on thumb a lot. I set the S2 in MF mode, and assigned the rear button beside the VF as AFs. The focusing was a bit slow and hunt sometimes, but maybe due to the insufficient light (f2.3, 1/60s, iso640), I guess. Is it the case?

3. When I was using the manual lenses, I half press the shutter release, there’s a focusing indicator, >• while I’m using HC100. Or if i have hit the focus, the dot will be lit no matter how I turn the focusing ring. But if I mount my manual lenses again, it works perfectly.

Are these only my camera or lens issue? Or it’s normal?

Please share with your experience and will be very thankful!

cheers!

Josh Lehrer

I have seen a faulty adapter once that caused a similar problem, so I imagine that is most likely the case. I would have the adapter replaced, and see if you still are having trouble. Normally, the S-Adapter-H works with the S2 just like the S lenses, meaning you have focus confirmation and full functionality of exposure controls and readouts. I have found that the auto focus speed on the H lenses is slower than the S lenses. Should the camera continue to have problems it might need a trip to Leica for service. Keep us posted!

issa918

Josh Lehrer;3838 wrote: I have seen a faulty adapter once that caused a similar problem, so I imagine that is most likely the case. I would have the adapter replaced, and see if you still are having trouble. Normally, the S-Adapter-H works with the S2 just like the S lenses, meaning you have focus confirmation and full functionality of exposure controls and readouts. I have found that the auto focus speed on the H lenses is slower than the S lenses. Should the camera continue to have problems it might need a trip to Leica for service. Keep us posted!

Thanks a lot, Josh. Today I tried the adaptor with a HC150 in a shop, the display showed the lens was a 152mm, so i guess it’s normal?

But for the focus confirmation issue, it’s still the same, only showed > no matter how I turn the lens’ ring. And of course no spot light to confirm the focus.

Then I tried the lens and adaptor on my friend’s S2, it was the same. And I put his S70/2.5 on my camera, everything works perfectly. 🙁

Leica Germany has suggested me to post them the adaptor and will check for me. The shop I bought the adaptor has helped to ask Leica, but they suspect it maybe the firmware, which I don’t agree because it’s 1.0.3.3 on my S2-P and my friend’s S2. I will go to Leica repair centre in my city and try my lens and adaptor on their S2, and also try their adaptor with my lens on my camera.

I don’t really wish to post to Germany because it is close to Christmas, I will do some projects during the holiday..So I will post to the shop and get an exchange this week. 🙁 Wish things will be sorted out very soon.

issa918

Update:

I have visited the local Leica service centre with my S2 and S to H adaptor, there was a S2 and another adaptor, and the product manager and I have tried both adaptors on each S2.

The focus confirmation issue were the same, only > appear no matter which direction we turned the focusing ring, and no dot lit up while focus was hit. Or another situation was, the dot kept lit up no matter how you adjust.

We thought it was the software bug in Leica S2 1.0.3.3 firmware.

If you have the adaptor and H lens on hand, you can try this and please tell me your result too.

Many thanks!

rsmphoto

Yes, I’ve been shooting the last two days with a new S to H adapter, using 50-110 HC with no issues. In the last week I’ve also used the 28 HCD, the 35 HC, AND the HTS, all with no issue. Using current firmware 1.0.3.3

issa918

rsmphoto;3864 wrote: Yes, I’ve been shooting the last two days with a new S to H adapter, using 50-110 HC with no issues. In the last week I’ve also used the 28 HCD, the 35 HC, AND the HTS, all with no issue. Using current firmware 1.0.3.3

Thanks for the input. I have no issue to use the 100/2.2 too. Just focus confirmation light not working correctly when using manual mode, also the display not showing the lens focal length correctly, like 100mm becomes 101mm and 150mm becomes 152mm, this happen on EXIF too.

Are these all working on your combo? Thanks!

rsmphoto

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

I generally rely on auto focus, but Yes, in testing with the 50-110 just now, I do get proper focus confirmation with a dot (and audible signal) on manual focus as well as with AFs (manual shows arrows and dot properly).

Also, EXIF data is actually accurate for the fixed focal length lenses. 35 reads as 35mm, 28 reads as 28mm, 80 reads as 80mm, but 50-110 zoom reads the 110mm as 114mm focal length.

No issues here at all….yet.

issa918

rsmphoto;3867 wrote: Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

I generally rely on auto focus, but Yes, in testing with the 50-110 just now, I do get proper focus confirmation with a dot (and audible signal) on manual focus as well as with AFs (manual shows arrows and dot properly).

Also, EXIF data is actually accurate for the fixed focal length lenses. 35 reads as 35mm, 28 reads as 28mm, 80 reads as 80mm, but 50-110 zoom reads the 110mm as 114mm focal length.

No issues here at all….yet.

Thanks a lot for the test!!!

Leica Germany has just emailed that suggesting me to send the adaptor to them, also they advise the local service centre to send them the demo adaptor. I think there’s something wrong in these. I’m not sure if this is not an uncommon issue.

I’m still thinking when to send, because it is about Christmas.

Again, thanks a lot!

This is the photo that I have shot last night with HC100/2.2. 🙂

R.C. i by issa…., on Flickr

rsmphoto

Sure. It was easy.

Hope the fix happens quickly for you.

issa918

Hi all, just an update.

My H to S adaptor and S2-P were back from Solm, and Solm has replaced a new adaptor for me. Now the focus confirmation indicator works perfectly! I also found out the lens firmware has be updated. When mounting on my HC lenses, the lens firmware version is 1.34.xxxx. I remember the version wasn’t so update before this.

Thanks again for everyone’s input!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.