Pete Walentin

It took me some time and some attempts to find the right look I had in mind for the pictures to express the textures and colors of the canyon.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
    Pete

Doug

Very nice, Pete! I particularly like the second and third shots as abstractions that keep the eyes moving. I’ve never been there, but have marveled at photos of the formations. I did have my S2 in the area last June, passing through Page toward Kanab. I understand, however, that the canyon is a strenuous and difficult visit.

Doug

Jack MacD

It is not difficult or strenuous. Well, other than the rough truck ride to the canyon. The Native Americans control the site and are excellent guides. When I was there the number of people going through was small enough so people didn’t get in the photo.
    Of course, you don’t want to be in the canyon if it is raining, nor will they let you, as that would be strenuous. Next time you are in the area, give it a try. Pretty challenging to take photos that haven’t been taken before, but still plenty of fun. I have not been in there with a medium format camera, and that would be a kick.
    Peter has some great shots, and can tell you more about issues that are more up to date. I was there three or four years ago.

Pete Walentin

Doug;1150 wrote: Very nice, Pete! I particularly like the second and third shots as abstractions that keep the eyes moving. I’ve never been there, but have marveled at photos of the formations. I did have my S2 in the area last June, passing through Page toward Kanab. I understand, however, that the canyon is a strenuous and difficult visit.

Doug

Thanks Doug,

Lower Antelope Canyon is totally relaxed. The good thing is that you could go there with your cam and tripod and then you are able to buy a photographer pass. This gives you two hours in the canyon without running around in a group. This means you have plenty of time, plenty of time gives you every comfort you need. And the canyon is just a long narrow strip with some ladders. Thatโ€™s it. We avoided the Upper one, as it is very touristy compared to the Lower. Definitely worth a trip.

Cheers.

Pete

stephan

fantastic pictures, especially the last one ๐Ÿ˜‰

cheers

Stephan

Mark Gowin

Although I have never been there, I have seen hundred of photos of this place over the years. This set of photos is excellent in the way you captured the light, colors, and textures. I am particularly fond of 1 and 2.

How did you handle the relatively shallow depth of field of the S2 in these images?

Pete Walentin

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

@mark: A tripod, stopped down to f/16 or f/22, manual focus and that’s it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.