Discussion Forum Leica M System M Lenses Fast, Wide Lens for Astrophotography
    JMG

I’m looking for suggestions on an M mount lens that might be suitable for moon-lit nightscapes and astrophotography (mainly milky way and starry sky) . I plan to use this lens (with an adapter) on my Sony A7Riii because of the camera’s great low light sensitivity. I already have an assortment of Sony and other non-Leica lenses for the A7Riii, but frankly none of them are as sharp as the lens on my Q2 Monochrom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I would appreciate any thoughts on how well the SL performs for nightscapes and astrophotography, including recommended kits.

Thanks!

Jack MacD

That’s an easy choice but not inexpensive.
    21mm 1.4.
    Lucky for you, the Leica Store Miami has one used as well as new.

Attachments:
    JMG

Thanks for the quick response! These days I find that I end up cropping a lot of my night shots , so I’m using 28 or 35 mm lenses more often than my very wide 15 and 20 mm lenses (where distortion and vignetting can be issues). I have thought about the 21 mm 1.4, but also wonder if the older 35mm Summilux-M f1.4 or the 28 mm Summicron f2, both of which are considerably cheaper, might be a better way to go. Aside from the differences in focal lengths, I’d appreciate thoughts on which of the three is a better lens. Thanks!

Jack MacD

Mike,
    I have not used either the 35 1.4 older model or the 28 2.0 for astrophotography. I don’t believe vignetting is an issue with the 21 but if that’s not your preferred field of view, go with a 35. You have also reduced your cost. What is the issue is what ISO works best on your Sony. If you are willing to shoot at say 3,200 you don’t need 1.4 on the 35mm to “freeze” star movement. Go with a 2.0 but more modern lens. Using the NPF rule, with your Sony you can stop movement as long as you’re exposure is under 6 seconds, right? What I don’t know is what ISO you need for that 6 seconds, unless you are exposure stacking. Of course if you want star trails, you can do low ISO and as long an exposure as you wish.
    Jack

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.