Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share Discardia: old ruins of a brewery
    Jack MacD

I was on a shoot in the old Pabst Brewery yesterday with a few other photographers.
    This was once the bottling plant, now stripped of the equipment.

A fellow photographer blogged on TOP about the visit here:
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/05/the-abandoned-pabst-brewery.html#comments

The second shot was initially a triptych, but I decided it was better as a diptych.

Both of these are preliminary. I haven’t even spotted “dust” yet. Not much tweaked before printing. I can say that LR4 makes it easier to do these quickly, and that CS6 made it possible to have straight lines in the merge leading to the diptych.

There is a back story on the photographer who got me into this building. We had shot the brew house three years ago, and on the basis of the shoot, she switched to Leica gear. She tells me she considers that her most expensive shoot ever. Perhaps I can get her to post a few of her shots from yesterday’s shoot on the M portion of this site.

Attached files

Jack MacD

A follow up to this shoot on TOP has Mike Johnson showing some of the same photos. Always interesting to see how iterations of resizing and downloading the same image may or may not change the presentation and color of a given image.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/05/jacks-pictures-with-the-leica-s2.html#comments

David Farkas

Jack MacD;2410 wrote: A follow up to this shoot on TOP has Mike Johnson showing some of the same photos. Always interesting to see how iterations of resizing and downloading the same image may or may not change the presentation and color of a given image.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/05/jacks-pictures-with-the-leica-s2.html#comments

Jack,

I was just reading the article earlier this morning at TOP.

BTW, I like the shot with the reflection of the windows in the puddle of water.

David K

Good to see you’re out there shooting Jack. Very nice images and a great write up. Agree with David about the shot with the water…well seen.

Mark Gowin

Jack, thank you for posting your images and link to the TOP article. Both were very enjoyable. I am not sure which image I like the best each have their own merits. On one hand I like the colors and texture of the peeling paint on the drain pipe and the old weathered bricks. On the other, I like the grandness of the diptych or reflected windows.

I am curious how you handled the DOF in the diptych. I assume you used the 35mm stopped down to about f11 or f13, but was that enough DOF – the building looks quite large. Did you have to do any focus stacking?

Jack MacD

Mark,
    Glad you like them.
    To answer your question of DOF, That diptych was shot with three 120mm images merged into a panorama, then reduced to a triptych then narrowed down to a diptych.
    There was no focus stacking. I focused on the far wall, letting the foreground beams go soft. You can see the actual DOF in this close cropping of the image.

I had previously shot a similar image with my 35 and it had more DOF of course. But I wanted to be able to enlarge this to huge proportions, so I preferred the merge for extra resolution. I also decided that I wanted less DOF than the 35 provided. I wanted the eye to be directed to the wall. It is difficult to see the actual DOF in a web page, so I am including the cropped version.

Jack

Of course, the resolution of the S allows one to recrop any image to multiple photographs. This cropping done merely to illustrate a point, is actually a pretty interesting photo.

Attached files

Mark Gowin

Jack,

Thank you for the explanation. Your reasoning makes sense. I may have taken multiple shots of each position to allow focus stacking in post. However, your approach may be more pleasing to the eye.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.