Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 The best for clean S sensor please
    Iceandfire

Hello there,
    how make it for clean up our S sensor please ?
    what is the best trade for this ?
    Or only made by Leica Center ?
    thanks for you answers.

Pete Walentin

Best is to let Leica do the sensor cleaning or at least a Leica dealer who offers sensor cleaning.

What I do regulary is to use Giottos Large Super Rocket-Air Blower to clean the sensor, holding the camera front down. This keeps the dust and dirt from getting stuck to the sensor and therefore beomce permanent and only removable by a propper cleaning. I achieve really good results by doing so and still have a clean sensor for a couple of month. Important is to use a big blower to have enough air for a proper circulation in the camera. Small ones are not doing the job, especially on the big sensor.

Cheers,
    Pete

Iceandfire

Ok Pete danke ! 😉
    I think is not dust but oils spots…
    maybe one day one trade create an nice tips for this !
    cheers,
    Seb

Mark Gowin

Visible Dust makes sensor swabs sized for the S2 and they have good products for wet cleaning. However, wet cleaning should be a last resort. First try a blower, then light brush (Visible Dust makes good brushes as well). If it is oil on your sensor as you suspect, a wet clean will be necessary. However, it takes a brave person to do it yourself. I had a lot of experience cleaning my own sensors over the years and never had a problem until I tried to wet clean my S2. Big mistake that could only be fixed by getting a new sensor.

I don’t think it would have happened using the Visible Dust sensor swab due to their design (that is what I had always used before). I didn’t have a local source for Visible Dust and ended up with another brand that was poorly designed. I had reservations about using it but went ahead anyway. That was a several thousand dollar mistake.

Iceandfire

Ok ! many thanks for your experience 😉 I waiting for that….

Albert Knapp, MDAvatar photo

I have used the Visible Dust cleaning sticks with Ecclipse to good effect on several occasions when simple Giotto Rocket Blowing and Arctic Butterfly brushing failed. The wet clean was daunting at first but, if done carefully and calmly, is most efficacious. I agree that it is NOT for the faint of heart. You can practice on a small piece of glass to get an idea. Put the glass inside a small box to mimic the camera chamber. If you feel confident then proceed. If not, send back to Leica.
    When I first informed David Farkas of my plan to do this, he almost fainted. He knows how careful and meticulous I am but it is important for all of us not to be intimidated by a procedure that most of us can readily master…
    Albert :):):)

Iceandfire

Ok Albert ! many thanks 😉

albireo_double

albertknappmd;3020 wrote: I have used the Visible Dust cleaning sticks with Ecclipse to good effect on several occasions when simple Giotto Rocket Blowing and Arctic Butterfly brushing failed. The wet clean was daunting at first but, if done carefully and calmly, is most efficacious. I agree that it is NOT for the faint of heart. You can practice on a small piece of glass to get an idea. Put the glass inside a small box to mimic the camera chamber. If you feel confident then proceed. If not, send back to Leica.
    When I first informed David Farkas of my plan to do this, he almost fainted. He knows how careful and meticulous I am but it is important for all of us not to be intimidated by a procedure that most of us can readily master…
    Albert :):):)

Oh please, why the drama? Just select the sensor cleaning item in the menu to open the shutter and expose the sensor, then use a rocket blower first, then take a PecPad swab (the one for full frame DSLRs works just fine) and put 2-3 drops of Eclipse on the tip and clean. It’s best to use the swab in a pushing motion (rather than pulling) and go from center towards the edges, to push any remaining dirt to the edge of the sensor. I’ve cleaned my S2 sensor several dozen times this way already, including in safari lodges in Africa, in my car, in a number of other places… exactly the same way as with any other DSLR. No reason to faint or send the camera to the dealer, unless both of your hands are left (Czech saying for clumsy people).

Mark Gowin

The drama is simple. A mistake will cost you several thousand dollars. The S2 sensor is designed with the cover glass glued onto the sensor. You can’t just replace the cover glass, you have to replace the entire sensor if the cover glass gets scratched. Also, please note that is pretty easy to scratch the coating on the cover glass.

I had about 10 years experience wet cleaning the sensors of my cameras and had the same attitude towards it as you have just expressed – “hey, what’s the big deal – just clean the sensor already.” I had no reservations about cleaning the sensor on my S2. I wasn’t concerned in the least. I wasn’t wasn’t nervous about it. In fact, I was confident in my ability to wet clean the sensor. That is until I scratched the cover glass and had to spend a bunch of money to get it fixed.

That is not to say that I will never wet clean my S2 sensor again. It is just a forewarning to others to ensure they know the consequences of a mistake.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.