Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share Going Wild with the Leica S2
    Pete Walentin

I haven’t posted here for so long. Time to change this. 🙂

Here are some shots I have taken in Feb while beeing in the lovely southern tip of Africa. The whole trip wasn’t about going for wildlife, but even if you are just there for the nature, you will see wildlife. So I finally decided to find out if the S2 can do wildlife. In my opinion it works, but with a lot of trade-offs.

All shots were taken with a LEICA APO-TELYT-R 1:2.8 280MM on the S2 and most of them with the 1.4x Extender.

Who is interested in a more detailed report can do this here.

Pete

peterv

Very nice shots, Pete. Thanks for sharing!

David Farkas

Absolutely stunning images.

Sounds like getting these was quite the challenge though. I wonder if the results would be different with the 400 f/2.8 non-modular, 400 f/2.8 modular or 400 f/4 modular, as you probably wouldn’t need to stop down as much, which solves some of the handling issues.

The lens we adapted to S mount was the 400 f/4 modular and the results were pretty good, even wide-open. DOF and shake were the constant battles, but a 5-series Gitzo and hydraulic ball head solved the shake issue for the most part. Also, you may want to try using a gimbaled head like a Wimberley or similar.

Anyway, this images rock!

Jack MacD

David
    I hope Leica brings out a 350 this fall
    And while we are wishing, I want a T like interface on the next S.
    Joe D cleverly suggests using the touch focus to allow for automated sequential focus stacking, but that would also require T like focus sensing or focus reposition.
    Mark who uses focus stacking very effectively can comment on how he might like carefully choosing his focus and then watching the camera fire off five shots in 3 seconds adjusting focus by memory!

Great photos by the way. Tell us more about your challenges.

Pete Walentin

Thanks for the Feedback guys.

@david: It would be interesting but those tests are expensive. 😎

A more stable head may help, but very often time is of the essence and when not being in an open car you have to shoot through the window, so no way of using a tripod. On top, if you are not alone in your car, your companions move, so is your camera. Even if you get out of the car, it is a hide and seek game and you better try to be a part of the car’s shape, so a beanbag comes in much more handy. Bottom line, most times there is no time for a tripod. This would look different if you are going for a drive in an open Safari vehicle. Let’s see if I will continue this test at some time. 😉

Axel

Very sharp pictures, all are great but like Owl picture most. Wild like always fascinates me, do share more pictures.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.